Location: Westborough High School
Dates: Sunday September 25 and Saturday October 1
Cost: $25 Registration
(Payable through TeamSnap; No cash/check will be accepted at the door)
Below are the tryout times by grade/gender for the upcoming WYBA tryouts.
Please bring the following items
- Water bottle
WYBA Tryout 1: Sunday, September 25
|4th Grade||2:15 PM – 3:15 PM||10:30 AM – 11:30 AM|
|5th Grade||1:00 PM – 2:00 PM||3:30 PM – 4:30 PM|
|6th Grade||11:45 AM – 12:45 PM||3:45 PM – 4:45 PM|
|7th Grade||2:30 PM – 3:30 PM||12:00 N – 1:00 PM|
|8th Grade||1:15 PM – 2:15 PM||10:45 AM – 11:45 AM|
WYBA Tryout 2: Saturday, October 1
|4th Grade||1:30 PM – 2:30 PM||4:00 PM – 5:00 PM|
|5th Grade||2:45 PM – 3:45 PM||5:15 PM – 6:15 PM|
|6th Grade||11:45 AM – 12:45 PM||4:15 PM – 5:15 PM|
|7th Grade||3:00 PM – 4:00 PM||5:30 PM – 6:30 PM|
|8th Grade||6:45 PM – 7:45 PM||6:30 PM – 7:30 PM|
Overview of WYBA Team Selection Process
The WYBA Team Selection process is designed to be a fair and open approach to assembling the best teams to compete in the Metrowest Basketball League. Below are a few key items of note:
- Players are strongly encouraged to attend both tryout sessions for their grade. If a player is injured and not able to tryout, he/she should still attend the sessions and observe the tryouts.
- We have tried scheduled tryout times to avoid conflicts with in-season town sports as currently scheduled. However, we cannot account for conflicts with out-of-season town sports, club sports and expect that most parents would prioritize travel tryouts over such games.
- Players who are late for a tryout or leave a tryout early will be included in the ratings as long as they attend ¾ of the minutes of the tryout. For example, if the tryout is scheduled from 10:30 am-11:30 am and the player arrives at 10:50, they will not be allowed to participate.
- A standard tryout format is used for all sessions and is facilitated by members of the WYBA Board of Directors. Tryouts will be closed to parents.
- Tryout evaluators are selected by the WYBA Board, made up of coaches and former players, who can effectively assess basketball skills. Tryout evaluators are not allowed to evaluate or see the scores for players in a grade/gender that they have a child in.
- Players are evaluated (1-10 scale) on a standard set of criteria, which includes basketball skills, positional attributes as well as attitude and hustle.
- The A Team Head Coach and B Team Head Coach applicants may be present at tryouts to observe, but do not evaluate the players and cannot communicate with the evaluators.
- Coaches have specific requirements based on the tryout results that must be followed when selecting teams. We encourage parents to review the WYBA Bylaws to gain a better understanding of how the teams are selected.
- The league will notify the players/parents of the tryout results approximately 5-10 days after the last tryout.
The WYBA Board of Directors works meticulously to plan each tryout session so that the process is as fair as possible. However, no tryout process is perfect and some players may be disappointed with the results. We strongly encourage any players who do not make a travel team to continue playing basketball and tryout again in future years.
If parents have any questions or concerns about the tryout process – or any other issues once the season starts – our Player Advocate is available to answer questions, address concerns and provide support as needed. You can email confidentially at firstname.lastname@example.org
Thanks for your interest in the Westborough Travel Basketball Program and best of luck at tryouts this fall!
Pat LaCroix / President
Unsubscribe: To be removed from future WYBA emails, reply to this email with Unsubscribe in the Subject line
Non-Discrimination Policy: WYBA does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, genetic information or any other class protected by law.